Hours: Monday though Friday – 40 hours per week
Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field (or)
Associate Degree in same fields with 3 years child care experience
General business and accounting knowledge
Proficient with the use of Microsoft Office Products
Proficient with QuickBooks or other financial package
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the Child Care Ministry Board and attend all Child Care Ministry Board meetings and its committees.
- Work in collaboration with Pastoral and Beginning Steps staff to meet the objectives of the ministry.
- Understand and conform to health, safety and licensing regulations.
- Handle all matters related to the administration of the Beginning Steps ministry and to specific aspects thereof.
- Keep records that pertain to the administration of the Beginning Steps ministry.
- Administer policies of admission, attendance, tuition and educational goals.
- Plan and implement a program of professional, personal and spiritual growth.
- Keep abreast of research and new developments in the field of early childhood.
- Prepare monthly reports on the state of the Beginning Steps ministry.
- Actively participate in professional organizations pertaining to early childhood.
- Supervise the management of classroom schedules.
- Schedule the use of shared classroom space and equipment with the Church Office & Pastoral Staff.
- Establish and monitor the responsibilities of the Beginning Steps staff.
- Coordinate short-term and long-term plans for the overall growth of the Beginning Steps Ministry.
- Coordinate with the Pastoral Staff, Child Care Ministry Board and Property Board changes in equipment and/or facility.
- Prepare a Beginning Steps annual budget to present to the Child Care Board for approval.
- Operate the Beginning Steps Ministry within the budget.
- Oversee the purchase of supplies for daily use.
- Purchases major equipment with approval from the Child Care Board.
- Prepare monthly and year-end reports on the status of the Beginning Steps budget.
- Process payroll which includes timesheet records, filing Federal and State taxes and preparing W-2’s for employees.
- Manage Accounts Payables and Receivables.
- Interact with the Stewardship Board and Treasurer in regards to financial matters when necessary. Provide information to Treasurer for quarterly and annual tax filings.
- Oversee fund-raising initiatives.
- Plan for and equip indoor and outdoor areas with the Pastoral Staff and Property Board.
- Replace equipment when necessary in conjunction with the Pastoral Staff and
- Coordinate for custodial care, maintenance and repairs, in conjunction with the
- Stock and manage supplies.
- Oversee Beginning Steps bus insuring that annual inspections, maintenance, & driver certifications are completed.
- Supervise all Beginning Steps staff.
- Recruit and hire applicants to fill Beginning Steps staff vacancies.
- Arrange for substitute help as needed.
- Conduct quarterly scheduled Beginning Steps staff meetings.
- Plan and implement an in-service program for the Beginning Steps staff.
- Assist Beginning Steps staff in planning individual goals for professional, personal, spiritual and career growth and encourage participation in professional conferences, lectures and other educational events.
- Meet with individual staff members to solve any problems that may occur.
- Plan and implement procedures for keeping classroom records.
- Update Beginning Steps staff handbook each new year in cooperation with the Child Care Board.
- Keep personnel records.
- Children will generally be enrolled on a first-come basis. First Baptist Church families will be given preference during enrollment.
- Meet and review policies with parents of newly enrolled children and prospective students.
- Be alert to enrollment needs at all times.
- Maintain an advertising and public relations program to promote enrollments.
- Maintain parent relationships.
- Communicate Beginning Steps and First Baptist Church information regularly with parents.
- Discuss behavior issues or concerns with parents when necessary.
- Update Beginning Steps parent handbook each new year in cooperation with the Child Care Board.
- Plan and implement a health and safety policy for the Beginning Steps Ministry.
- Keep informed of the Beginnng Steps Ministry legal responsibilities and liabilities.
- Enforce pertinent state health guidelines.
- Enforce all First Baptist Church and Beginning Steps Ministry policies and procedures.
- Maintain a referral system for children who may have special needs.
- Plan and implement the food program along with the food service worker.
- Establish rules for playground safety and a maintenance program for the equipment.
- Plan for and conduct fire, tornado, and lock-down drills.
- Oversee that the Beginning Steps staff has proper First Aid/CPR training.
- Organize procedures for the management of children's on-site and off-site activities and routines.
- Plan the curriculum/educational program for all classrooms in collaboration with Beginning Steps staff, Pastoral staff, and the Child Care Board.
- Plan for the evaluation of the child in relation to their progress, abilities and special needs in collaboration with other staff.
- Ensure children have daily spiritual development activities that are coordinated with Pastoral Staff and support the ministry of First Baptist Plainfield.
Church and Community Relationships
- Welcome visitors to the Beginning Steps ministry and provide tours of facility and answer any questions.
- Communicate Beginning Steps information regularly with Pastoral Staff, Church Office, and Child Care Board.
- Coordinate with the church calendar.
- Meet with Pastoral Staff as needed.
- Coordinate Beginning Steps volunteers from First Baptist Church.
- Arrange for events sponsored by the Beginning Steps ministry as a service to the community, as approved by the Pastoral Staff and Child Care Board.